The Cleveland Museum of Natural History (CMNH), founded in 1920, is located in the heart of University Circle, five miles east of downtown Cleveland, Ohio. Considered one of the finest institutions of its kind in North America, the Museum offers an incredible visitor experience, attracting roughly 275,000 visitors a year. There are more than 140 public education programs and over 80,000 students served annually. The Museum employs about 160 people.
Building on its strong foundation of excellence in education and research, the Museum is poised to transform itself. The Museum will invite and engage a broader audience in the exploration of science and the natural world by revolutionizing the way it presents natural history. The Museum has launched a capital campaign to support a dramatic renovation and expansion of its facilities and exhibits. This ambitious plan will position the Museum to play a leading role in regional and national efforts to improve science education and increase scientific literacy.
The Museum is seeking a dynamic, creative and energetic individual who is passionate about the Museum and its mission; exhibits strong project management and organizational skills; is looking for new challenges; and enjoys working in an enthusiastic and fast paced environment.
Under the general supervision of the Archaeology Department Head/Field Director, the Archaeology Field and Lab Assistant is responsible for the supervision of field school students for the 2016 Museum field school program. The term is for eight weeks, beginning on June 13, 2016
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the general supervision of field school students.
- Assists the Field Director in instructing students in the basic methods of field excavation and data recording.
- Responsible for analyzing archaeological materials and assisting the Archaeology Department Head with the compilation of the annual field report.
- Performs all duties according to established museum operating, safety, and environmental and quality policies.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Archaeology Department Head or management as required.
- Master’s degree (M.A.) in Archaeology or related field; with two or more years of experience and/or training in Archaeology; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of Archaeology field and lab processes and procedures.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite products to include Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Ability to communicate effectively both written and orally.
- Excellent organizational and attention to detail skills
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to:
Human Resources Cleveland Museum of Natural History
One Wade Oval Drive, University Circle
Cleveland, Ohio 44106
No phone calls, please.
Job Announcement Number: 16A04
Posting Date: February 9, 2016
The Cleveland Museum of Natural History
is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY, ADA EMPLOYER
and a SUBSTANCE-FREE WORKPLACE